Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sweet Tooth!

The month of July has been dessert month! I can't get sweets off my mind. We have done a pretty good job taking care of my cravings. Brent always says, "It sure is hard to stay in shape when you're married to a pregnant lady."

Homemade Butterfinger Ice Cream for 4th of July. This is a family tradition on both sides.

Homemade Old Fashioned Strawberry Pie
I never realized that strawberry pie could be wrong but it can. Brent and I went to Marie Callenders for a fresh strawberry pie. Little did I know that they were going to bring us cold whole strawberries dripping in a super sweet jello type syrup sitting in a cold pie shell. It was so gross! I didn't know at the time but what I was really craving was an old fashioned COOKED strawberry pie. After a little internet research I was able to combine a
few recipes to get exactly what I have been wanting. Below is the recipe I used adapted from rareandbeautifultreasures blog. You gotta try it! Brent never eats fruit desserts and he loved it. For all you single's out there: My Grandma Jean used to say, "You can't get married until you bake a pie."

Old Fashioned Strawberry Pie

5 cups fresh strawberries

Called for 1 cup but I used only 1/2 cup sugar (was tart and not too sweet)

Called for 5 tbls flour but I used 3 1/2 tablespoons corn starch

For Crust:

Betty Crocker Double Crust Pie Shell

Bake in 425 oven for 50 mins-1 hour or until golden brown/berries hot & bubbling

Topping:

Whipped Heavy cream with a little vanilla and sugar


Grandma Wilma's Strawberry Shortcake
This is something my Grandma Wilma always makes us during the summer. She uses Bisquick but for a little healthy twist I used
whole wheat pancake and waffle mix from Trader Joe's.
It is wonderful!
Don't forget to whip up some fresh whipping cream for the top.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...