Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Is a Perfectly Organized Bookshelf Overrated?


I spent 20 minutes organizing these shelves. This used to be something I did before we had guests over. No longer.  It's just not that important to me anymore. I'm really not sure why. Maybe it's because I have less time, maybe because I am older, or maybe it stems from something a good friend, Rebekah, once said to me. 

It was at a time when we were remodeling an apartment and I was super self-conscious with having anyone over since things did not look "perfect." Rebekah was so kind. I can't remember her exact words but it was something to the effect of, "Franci, you are the reason I am coming over. I am not coming over for what your house looks like." 


That spoke volumes to me. It is true and it makes me sad now to think how concerned I was about the appearance of my home. Now, I welcome people in and worry little if at all about the state of my house. Yes, I want a beautiful well-kept home, but I want the relationships more. 


So I no longer let a messy bookshelf (or old blue carpet) keep me from inviting friends over. 


Can anyone relate?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...