Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Becoming a Book Worm

This post is about me, franci. I would not call myself a book worm although I have always wanted to be one. During my younger years I never really liked reading. My husband, knowing that I long to be labeled as a book worm created a system, if you will, that encouraged me to read. I appreciate how my husband helps me be a better person and encourages me to go after my personal goals.

The system goes a little something like this: If I read a whole book within a certain time frame I get money, cold hard cash. Of course, the length of the book determines how much moola. Also, he usually sets a time limit. If the book is not finished within that time span than no money is awarded. I think I got $5 for my first book. That may not seem like much to you but it is to me. $5 can get you a lot if you think about it. Also we live on a budget, which means there is never any money that is not assigned to something. Of course, I have "blow money" to spend on whatever but a little extra cash never hurt a girl. It was a difficult process for me but once I had that $5 in hand I knew I could do it again. Being the bargainer that I am I usually can squeeze out another week into my time frame or an extra dollar or two into my reward. Over time Brent started offering less and less as a reward. Now I can say I read out of pure joy. Although secretly I wish I could still get some money out of it.

I also realized the reason I was not reading much. It was because I was not reading books I really liked. It's almost like I discovered my love for books in my 30's. I really like fiction. Historical fiction is one of my favorites. My husband will not read fiction. Well, he will but he thinks it's a waste. He likes Non-Fiction. Learning something to improve his life, be inspired, etc. I on the other hand get so much delight out of reading stories, hearing about character's lives, their struggles, and triumphs. There is just something about the way an author describes things, takes you to different times and places, opens people's souls to you that I find very intriguing.

Brent told me the other day he is considering starting his system up again if I read a non-fiction book. We will see...

Here are some books I read recently that I really enjoyed:

What books have you read recently? Please share, I am always looking for my next book.

Btw, I use the public library. I like to hold and read from the actual book but the library usually has e-copies you can check out.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite non-fiction books are: One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp, Freedom of Simplicity - Richard Foster, Emotionally Healthy Spirituality - Peter Scazzero, and The Pursuit of God - AW Tozer. I'd say these are my 'life books' that I would love to read again and again. Oh..and I also recently read Love Wins - Rob Bell, and no matter your position on the controversial issues involved, I think its a very worthwhile read.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily! I have started One Thousand Gifts and really enjoy it. Very deep and rich.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...